Saturday, August 11, 2012

31 July - 5 August


Tuesday 31 July – Gulf of Nicoya.

Port of Puntarenas – Costa Rica           

Currency – Costa Rican Colon 



When I came out on deck this morning, the ship was already moored and we were looking at beaches whose sands were brown because it was ground up lava and it seems that we were back into 3rd world counties again.  A number of the excursions had been cancel due to a small hurricane which had gone through the island and caused a lot of damage and others due to a demonstration which could cause delays for the busses.

My excursion was OK and we set off through Puntarenas to travel through the countryside and after about 30 minutes we pulled off the road and our guide went just into the jungle and started calling out and after a few minutes a cute little monkey came out to take a banana from the guides hands and of course give us the opportunity to take pictures. 


We then travelled onto a cruise boat on the Tarcoles River which was very similar to the river banks in the Top End as it was very tidal and full of crocodiles who were not as big as ours as they were more like our Johnsons.  We saw crocs, herons, falcons, jacana, vultures, egrets and my favourite green iguanas.  I must admit, I was really uncomfortable during the cruise as the boat was very low in the water and no sides and we were going right up to the crocs and I was really scared that they would jump in, I was glad to get back on shore.






Lunch followed the cruise and we enjoyed local food of fish, rice and beans and a couple of bottles of local beer.  Most enjoyable.

We stopped at a few souvenir places on the way back, getting in back in time for the afternoon monsoonal showers.  As I was going through the security gates at the start of the pier and was being scanned by the metal detector, the local Policeman noticed the Scout shirt I was wearing and told me that he was a Scout Leader so we then of course had to have a chat about Scouting and he gave me his scouting business card.  I often wear my scout shirt when I leave the ship and have met a number of scouts and leaders.

We have been searching for places with free wi-fi every time we leave the ship but have not managed to find one yet, I am glad that my computer is a light as it is. Maybe we can find somewhere in Los Angeles.

Up on deck at 1800 hours for ‘Sail-a-way’.

Wednesday 1 August – Pacific Ocean passing Nicaragua. The sea are calm and the weather is overcast and the ship’s passengers are excited as at breakfast we found salt and pepper shakers, milk and sugar on the tables.  Wow, we are out of total lock down and we can now serve ourselves and it is silly how something as simple as that could make everyone overjoyed with the knowledge that the virus is under control.

Thursday 2 August – Pacific Ocean south off Mexico.

Last night we passed through a lightning storm and heavy rain and the people with a balcony tell me that it was brilliant bit those who live in the centre of the ship slept on unawares as it is constantly black inside our cabins, it is impossible to know what time of the day it is in there.  I would rather save the money by staying in the inner cabin and use it on excursions etc.

Friday 3 August – Pacific Ocean 15 miles off the coast of Mexico.

Storm again last night and overcast today.  The choir had their performance in the theatre this afternoon and as usual we were really great.  It has been a lot of fun and I have really enjoyed learning the songs and although I still cannot read music I follow the notes as they go up and down and watch the conductor, our final concert before Sydney will be a teary one as most of us have been on the whole cruise.

Saturday 4 August – Pacific Ocean 30 miles off the coast of Baja California Mexico.

Another day at sea, the weather is over cast and the seas are calm, there are a lot of dolphins swimming around the ship this morning as the water temperature is now about 30 degrees.

We had a bit of excitement this morning, the ship sail into a small island to disembark two sick passengers.  It was interesting to watch the transfer, the ship had stopped and then the small boat came along side of the ship and the medical staff boarded the ship and then the luggage and the passengers were transferred.  It was smoothly done, all the time we were close to the Mexican shore we were constantly circled by a Mexican Navy Patrol boat and the soldiers on board the craft were armed.  I am not sure if I would have like to be unloaded on this small island in the hope of finding medical assistance.

Formal night again and of course we will be having Baked Alaska again.

Sunday 5 August – Pacific Ocean continuing along the coast of Baja California Mexico.

Weather is still overcast and I am wearing my track pants and dragged out my slippers.  A number of the passengers who are doing the World Cruise have decided to leave the ship in LA and either spend some more time in USA or travel direct to Hawaii and spend days there until the ship arrives on the 11th.  I am happy to stay on board and hopefully the weather will warm up and I may go for a swim and get a tan.

I am starting to think about how I am going to fit everything into my 2 suitcases.



No comments:

Post a Comment