Thursday, August 9, 2012

10 - 12 July


Tuesday 10 July Bergen – Norway  Currency – Norwegian Krone

My Birthday.  Aaron and Renee both SMS’d me at 0215 this morning to wish me Happy Birthday and over the next couple of hours I heard from john, Gillian and Chris.  I opened my card from Tonya and during the day I received some lovely gifts from Yvonne and Pat and a gift and card from the people at my table.  I received some emails from friends in Australia. 


I did not have a tour booked for Bergan as the ship had anchored right in the middle of the town, Eyvonne and I walked into town and wandered through the Fisherman’s Market.  The display of whale salami, blood salami, fish, crabs and caviar was fresh and lovely but very expensive, I bought a small jar of salmon caviar and it cost me the equivalent of $12.

The weather was cold and windy but I was warm and it was lovely to get off the ship and wander around at our own speed.  We spent about 3 hours and tried on fur hats and Norwegian caps but it was much too expensive.  The salaries paid to the locals are very high because most of them work on the oil rigs. 



We wandered back to the ship for a hot bowl of soup and I must admit that I crawled back into bed until it was time to dress for the evening meal. 


  
The people at my table made a fuss of me and at the end of the meal the wait staff and a number of other people came to my table as the birthday cake was presented.  It was a really nice end to a lovely day which I will remember for a long time where I was in 2012.

  
The days have been getting longer and longer over the last week or so, Sunrise was 0429 hours and Sunset was 2257 hours, it is strange wandering off to bed just as the sun was setting.  We should be able to see the Northern Lights just before sunrise tomorrow, not that I would be found on the deck that time of the day.

Wednesday 11 July   Lerwick –Scotland  Currency – British Pounds


The ship anchored from shore and we used the ship’s tenders to ferry us to the pier.


The Shetlands are the most northerly part of the British Isles made up of more than 100 islands but only 12 of them are inhibited.  The landscape is miles of green rolling hills with no trees and the occasional farm house and Shetland ponies, black faced sheep roaming across the road and every now and then a frightened rabbit.     

We travelled north taking in the landscape and stopping every now and then to rush out from the warmth of the bus to take pictures and after two hours we stopped at an old farmhouse for a hot cup of tea and biscuits.  We travelled back to Lerwick and I called into the ‘local’ and had the best fish and chips with vinegar and a pickle onion.  My God, I was so cold, it was raining and the wind was going straight through my layers of clothing, the temperature reached a staggering 10 degrees.  I was glad to get back on board and warm up.  The Shetlands would be a nice place to visit but to live, perhaps not.


I was disappointed, I didn’t see one kilt!








At approximately 2330 hours we passed the half way distance point of our World Cruise having steamed 17,872 nautical miles since departing Sydney.

Thursday 12 July    North Atlantic Ocean 

The decks are closed and only the smokers are seen out of doors, it is very cold but surprisingly calm waters.  A number of the passengers have seen whales and dolphin but people like me who live in the caves in the centre of the ship have not the opportunity unless they happen to be up on deck. 

I have taken to wearing my pin fluffy slippers everywhere except to the dining room in the evenings.

I think everyone is enjoying the quiet sea day today, we go to Trivia and afternoon tea and I have been catching up with my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment