Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday 24th

Yesterday we hired a Tuk Tuk driver and went straight to the phone shop and we all bought a $22 pre paid phone and a soft pillow as the pillows here are really hard.  We of course also found the local market and stocked up on grog.  I bought a 1 litre bottle of Gin for $8 and Sandra (Scouting lady) bought a bottle of local bourbon for $1.50 which is 34% proof and tastes good after the first full glass.

Food, is quite good except that it has no meat, lots of vegies and rice.  I am really happy now as every meal has a small bowl of chillies for me to share with the only other lady who likes 'hot'.

I had rice porridge this morning with salty eggs. 

We sat down together today to go through the text books, look at lesson plans and generally what is expected of us.  Wow.  It should be interesting as I have 4 classes, one with no English, next minimal and then 2 more a little better, the idea is that they come for 1 hour every day and at the end of the year, they should be up at the elementary level.  We have a young Khmer in our classroom to help translate in the earlier classes but late on  there is only English spoken.  We will have exams at the end of every term. 

Tomorrow is Saturday and we are going to leave here about 5 am to travel to our first temple and watch the sun rise over the ruins.  I am so looking forward to it, we will then come back and go through more training.

I have pictures which I am trying to upload.

No comments:

Post a Comment